Pages

Friday, July 11, 2008

We now interrupt this garden blog...

Thought perhaps I should write a teeny, tiny update on where things stand with the weight loss issue. I started a longer post, intending to go into more detail, but I could feel the crazy coming back, so this will be brief.

I'm not getting on the scale as often.

I am still working out.

Most days I am counting my calories.

I've been trying to journal what I'm thinking and how I'm feeling about things.

I've started reading The Beck Diet Solution to see if working on the mental side of things will help. I'm 2 chapters in and it looks like I have 2 chapters to go before I actually get to the start of the program. Will keep y'all posted.

I will say this.

When my in-laws were here, my MIL & I were talking about weight loss. She is a nurse, and she struggles with her weight as well. She was saying that in order to lose she is finding that she would have to cut back on her eating to the point where she is always hungry, and it's hard to live like that. She has done the gym thing. They have a treadmill in their basement and she uses it.

Some people really do have slower metabolisms. My MIL, husband and one of his brothers all have the same body type. You can see it if you look at them standing side by side. Husband was in the military for 6 years, in the infantry. He got lots of exercise and even then he was never thin. He just barely stayed within the weight requirements.

The thing is, I often hear statements about how weight loss is all about calories in vs. calories out, and if you are not losing weight then obviously you are doing something wrong. But I do think it is harder for some people than others, even when those people are doing the right things. I'm not saying I expect dieting to be easy, but I think it's not always as simple as "just cut back on your eating and get a little exercise."

I'm not saying this as an excuse. I still want and need to lose weight. I'm not happy as I am. But at the same time, I'm tired of beating myself up for being a failure.

All that leaves me right back where I started - not quite sure how to do what I need to do. But somehow, it must be done.

Well. Guess I had more to say than I thought I did.

Side note: I did finally get a new card reader, so stay tuned for more Kejimkujik pictures (tonight or tomorrow).

And there are cat photos in the post below this one. They are darned cute kitties, trust me.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

i have one of her books (4-day win diet) but am not sure if i ever finished it... i do like martha beck though, she's a great writer and always has something positive to say... i just bought some books today myself - 2 from 'our lady of weightloss' and 1 called 'ditch the scales'... i'm feeling the need to read more this new way of thinking and not being tied to a weightloss program - we'll see... :o)

re: your post - i have always had a slow metabolism and i've learned to accept it... even when i was jogging 5-6x week, i wasn't losing a bunch of weight (and i was watching my diet too)... i feel some people are either born with a good one or a bad one, and it's all in how you chose to live with it...

nothing you've done should be seen as a failure - look how much you've learned and how far you've come! be proud! :o)

Missicat said...

Seems like alot of people are going through what you are now (including myself). I think it is more complicated the calories-in less then calories-out (just my
$.02). It is easy for people with high metabolisms to say "just cut back on eating". And it's easy for me to smack them! (just kidding)
To echo Jodi, you are not a failure! hang in there!

The Merry said...

Calories in = Calories out, I've got no problem with that, as far as it goes.
The trouble is that not everyone burns calories at the same rate, so the next time a person with a zippy metabolism smugly says "it's simple" you have my permission to give them A Look.

Unknown said...

Definitely not just calories in = calories out. You are not a failure... it is so true how for some it is easy and for others it is really hard.

Keep hanging in there and you have come so far and are really doing some great things health wise with your body and it will thank you for it in the end. :)

Anonymous said...

lemmie know if I can ever lend a hand.

or an insight.

or an email acct to bitch, err, lament to.


Miz.

the Bag Lady said...

Healthy is better than stick-thin any day, and methinks all your exercising is of great benefit to you.
I can definitely relate to the slower metabolism. I think I totally screwed mine up with all the yo-yo dieting I did over the years. Sigh.

Crissy Rae said...

I agree-weight loss is a lot more than calories in vs. calories out. My sister and I have totally different metabolisms. She can eat all day long and not gain a pound and I can watch my weight and exercise and will not lose anything. It's tough..all we can do is try our best and keep looking for new ways to get that dang metabolism to work harder! Just don't give up :)

Crabby McSlacker said...

I completely agree!

I think one can do all the right things and still be overweight--it's not fair, but it's reality. And I think it's much more important to focus on healthy habits than a number on the scale.

Anonymous said...

"But I do think it is harder for some people than others, even when those people are doing the right things."

It definitely is harder for some. Especially when you are trying to lose those last 20 pounds. Best of wishes. It seems like you are doing a lot of the right things.