Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Beck Diet - Day 4

Is all about Giving Yourself Credit.

Because we are often very hard on ourselves, berating ourselves for every little mistake, every bad choice. But how often do we give ourselves credit for the things we do right - even little things?

If we are constantly putting ourselves down, thinking negative thoughts, thinking we are failing it will be all to easy to give up. And then we will fail.

Instead we should give ourselves credit for the successes. We can then acknowledge the mistakes and think about how to avoid those mistakes in the future.

So for yesterday:
1. I planned my meals/snacks and followed my plan
2. I didn't do the workout I had planned on, because I wasn't feeling great, but I did get out for a walk so I still got some exercise.

Today:
1. Thought about cookies when we stopped at the grocery store on the way home tonight, but stuck to my list and did not stop to look at cookies.
2. Planned my meals snacks for the day and came close to following plan.
3. Didn't get in a workout this evening, but did get out for a short walking break away from my desk during the work day.

Where I went wrong: I forgot about the wine. Last night, was discussing with Husband what to plan for supper tonight and he spied the bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer. It was on sale last week when I was picking up groceries, Husband loves shrimp, so I picked up a bag but had forgotten. Husband suggested the Shrimp Pasta dish we often make - it's pretty easy, and where I'm still feeling kind of blah, I'm all for easy, plus pasta = comfort food for me. Recipe calls for white wine, and I will often sub in white grape juice, but we didn't have any (since this was a spur of the moment thing and didn't really think that I could have picked some up today), so I said better put a bottle of wine in the fridge. Of course, open bottle of wine means I'm going to drink some. But as mentioned, I forgot about that when I was planning out my meals. So I was over my calorie target today, but yesterday I was under, so hopefully it will all even out. And next time I will either work the wine into the plan, or get the grape juice.

---------------------------
Daily Record
---------------------------
BF: Multigrain toast w/PB, coffee w/cream
Snack: 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt w/2 peaches
Lunch: Lemon Chickpea Lentil Soup, 1/2 cup cottage cheese
Snack: Kashi Granola Bar
Supper: Shrimp Scampi, 2 glasses of white wine (love that Riesling!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, thats true- we don't often give ourselves credit for the little things. And giving ourselves credit for all the good things we do is such a great (and simple) way to stay on track and keep motivated.

Wine is a tough one to resist:) Very impressed by your cookie resistance!

the Bag Lady said...

Could have sworn I commented on this post!

Giving ourselves credit for things is sometimes very difficult (at least, it is for me!) I am forever beating myself up for making bad choices.

JavaChick said...

It is much easier to focus on our mistakes and beat up on ourselves isn't it? I think the key is to try and put a positive spin on it, try to come up with a way to do better next time. That way we are developing coping strategies, rather than convincing ourselves we might as well give up.