Pages

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Couch Potato

Does anyone else get mesmerized by The Food Network? I should know better than to turn it on, because once I do it can suck up hours of my time. I seem unable to tear myself away.

Yesterday I caught an episode of Chef At Home. Michael Smith is one of my favourite Food Network chefs; I find him to be very down to earth and pleasant to listen to, and it's nice to actually watch a show that is filmed in the Maritimes (Prince Edward Island). While watching yesterday, I saw a couple of recipes that I wanted to try. They looked pretty simple, so I decided they would be tonight's supper.

Photobucket

We had Spicy Pineapple Salad and Orange Ginger Broth with Soba Noodles.

The Spicy Pineapple Salad was awesome - the perfect balance of hot/sour/salty/sweet that I love. The soup had a more delicate flavour, especially after the tang of the pineapple salad, but it was really good and was easy to do.

I did change up the soup a bit - added chicken, and used a red bell pepper (mainly because I had one that needed to be used) instead of bok choy. Also, I garnished with a bit of sesame oil and cilantro rather than sesame seeds.

I can definitely see making both of these recipes again.

Recipes here

9 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

I'm ashamed to admit I have never watched the Food Network.
It's probably just as well, because I would probably get sucked in and never get anything else done.....

Anonymous said...

I never watch it either...though that's prolly not a shock :)

bravo? tlc? I can get sucked in for days...

Unknown said...

Food looks great!!!! I think my hubby would really enjoy that one too. :D

I understand about getting sucked in on those shows. I once watched an episode on a show about Chocolate Beet Root Cake. So, of course I just have to make it right? lol My son and I had everything red over the kitchen - but it was the BEST rich chocolate cake I have ever had. My son still asks if we can make it again here all the time. :)

Missicat said...

mmmm...sounds good...I also have never seen the Food Network! I am pretty sure we get it here. Might just check that out...

Unknown said...

Ooh, sounds really good!

I love looking at photos of food, but I don't know if I have the attention span to watch a show on the food network:)

Anonymous said...

loooks yummy!! I dont watch cooking shows but watch too many crime shows! grr

Angela Power said...

I AM A FOOD NETWORK JUNKIE! And Michael Smith is one of my fav's for that very same reason. Your dinner looks wonderful and it sounds so flavourful! I will HAVE to try that for sure! *sigh* I have so many recipes "in the cue"

JavaChick said...

I'm glad to know there is at least one other food network junkie out there. We are definitely foodies in this house, we love trying new things and experimenting in the kitchen. The food network provides entertainment & inspiration. :)

Anonymous said...

I truly live by the food network - omg... I could watch all day!!

P.S. You've been tagged!