Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Hormone Diet

I hear the ground hog saw his shadow, but we’re still seeing an awful lot of winter in these parts.

IMG_0129

IMG_0131

We’re trying to put on a brave face, but dude; there’s a lot of snow out there.

IMG_0131

IMG_0132

IMG_0133

When the sun shines, it looks pretty.

IMG_0135

But somehow the living room looks more inviting.

IMG_0125

IMG_0137

 

Okay, now that’s out of the way…The Hormone Diet.

This is going to be short because it’s been a busy weekend and it’s getting late and Dr. Turner (author of The Hormone Diet) says I should go to bed at 11:00.

Dr. Turner covers almost everything – diet, exercise, stress management, sleep, skin care and sex (she says you should have it). The idea being that if your hormones are out of whack, getting them back in balance will help you to lose weight, not to mention potentially improving other health issues you may have.

In theory, I like this whole mind-body-life approach. It makes sense – you want your body to be performing optimally so that it can do all the things it needs to do, including burning fat and building muscle.

That said, the diet is pretty strict. I’ll be honest, I looked at it and thought: This is not a diet I could be happy following.  But. I’m going to give it a try.

Husband’s parents visited us last summer on their way to and from Ottawa. Mother-In-Law talked about this diet quite a bit, and this was the first I’d heard of it. She and Father-In-Law had been following it for a while and having great success. To paraphrase, MIL had tried many other ways to lose weight and this was the first one that worked for her; she was not having cravings, she felt satisfied with what she was eating and the pounds were coming off.

A pretty good recommendation as far as I’m concerned. Also? MIL is a nurse.

However, I still held off because it sounded way too complicated and strict. But it stayed there in the back of my mind. Husband has been saying more and more that he needs to do something to lose weight. To look at them, Husband and MIL have very similar body types. I thought that maybe we should give this a go.

So I bought the book.

I still think it looks complicated and hard to follow.

But I feel like I should give it a shot.

I really should be starting off with a two week detox, but I don’t feel quite ready for that. Also, based on the quizzes in the book, I don’t test positive for any of the hormone imbalances. Dr. Turner says you should have 2 clear weeks to do the detox, and we’ve had lots of social stuff going on lately. Fun but not so great for detoxing. So, I’m going to do my best to try and stick to the diet – I imaging it will feel like a bit of detox anyway – and see what happens.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

MizFit said...

GOOD LUCK and cant wait to tag along as you blogblogblog about this :)

solarity said...

Good Luck. (I don't do complicated, but I'll be interested.) My hormones are out of whack--I don't care what my TSH tested last time, I can tell I'm not getting enough thyroid from my sleep patterns and the way I feel, but can I convince my GP?

Mary Anne in Kentucky

the Bag Lady said...

This sounds very interesting! I'm looking forward to hearing how you do with the diet. It just might convince me to give it a try! (I'm fairly certain my hormones are out of whack.)

Tim Cooper said...

If anyone has to loose the weight then they need to take the strict diet such that if they should follow the strict diet and that makes them to loose the weight very fast. And that could be very helpful for them.